Hello dear beautiful travelers, backpackers, seekers and others!
Due to COVID-19 we are in very minimal operation (no online bookings, please contact us directly on our email) until at least the 15th of April.
We will use the time to do more small renovations – you can check our progress on https://www.instagram.com/viennahostel/
Support our company social collection for volunteers and part time workers and here: https://www.leetchi.com/c/viennahostel
Make sure to secure a FLEXIBLE booking on our website (cancel up to 24h in advance) so you get the nicest beds when everything is over! Prices may never be so low again 🙂 !!!
Feel at home with us
- Handmade with lots of love, Hostel Ruthensteiner has been providing world travelers with a place to meet, kick back & enjoy since 1968. Our unique hostel features beautiful common spaces & gardens (complete with local artwork & furniture-creations), musical instruments for guest use (amazing jam sessions!), a cozy bar (make new friends), a fully equipped guest kitchen and arguably the coolest, most helpful staff in the city…in short, Hostel Ruthensteiner is the perfect Vienna base for solo and small-group travelers of all ages. But don’t take our word for it: check out what our guests are saying!
- FREE WIFI, FREE Internet PCs and iPads for rent– it has never been so easy to contact your folks back home!
- GREAT LOCATION- Our newly renovated, early 1800’s historic building is just a stone’s throw from the Westbahnhof Metro&Train Station, with both the historic city center and the lovely Palace Schönbrunn just a quick metro ride or pleasant stroll away. Our house is on a peaceful side street just around the corner from the beautiful Mariahilferstrasse, Vienna’s most popular shopping & strolling avenue – another destination not to be missed on any Vienna visit!
- Low Season Special: Dormbeds from 10 Euros!
…we got BLOGGED!
Here’s what a few of our favorite travel bloggers have to say:
”Hostel Ruthensteiner was refreshingly personal, cosy and fun. While brainstorming about an article on the hostel, me and my friends decided to list the positives and negatives. However, we ended up with a long list of positives…”
”After a smooth check in I meander deeper into the hostel and find not one but two interior gardens, where peaceful plants climb the walls and wrap oak benches, tables and chairs in a soft embrace. A hand carved, oversized wooden chess set sits on the patio and groups of weary, contented travelers relax with a drink…”
– from ‘Hostel Ruthensteiner: Original and Independent Vienna’ by Lauren Salisbury of Something In Her Ramblings
– Lucas & Ludmilla, Mochilas en Viaje
” I fell in love with the magnificent artwork all around the hostel. Art is a prominent part of Vienna’s culture and the hostel reflects an understanding of the culture by featuring various pieces of art from both domestic and international artists.”
”Hostel Ruthensteiner has a great bar that is rounded which makes it nearly impossible to not make friends with those sitting around you because you are nearly looking at them anyhow. The hostel is not a party hostel, but rather more of a relaxed atmosphere setting where gentle music plays when someone in the common area is not entertaining with one of the musical instruments hanging on the wall…”
– Stephen ‘Beaver’ Harris, Official Europe’s Famous Hostels Ambassador